SENIOR STRATEGY DIRECTOR (HORTICULTURE)
WHO’S THE EMPLOYER? A member funded organisation that represents a very strong force in Agriculture with powerful statistical data that is widely used to ensure Agriculture remains competitive and sustainable. With major funding for projects and an immense R & D function and access this is a very focused and efficient organisation that requires the best individuals in their filed to maintain its presence and function in British Agriculture.
WHAT’S THE INDUSTRY? Horticulture
HOW WILL I BE REWARDED? Leading Package
WHERE IS THE ROLE LOCATED? Midlands (1 YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT)
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE ROLE? The post holder will be pivotal to ensuring our client’s work is focused and relevant to meeting the needs of growers in the horticulture sector. Provides leadership and strategic direction to the organisation in relation to the horticulture sector. Acts as a spokesperson and commentator, establishing a large influence over the horticulture boards. The Sector strategy director acts as the ‘glue’ between the board and the rest of the organisation ensuring the strategy set by the Board is delivered effectively by the operational teams.
- Contributes to the strategic direction; supporting growth, improved competitiveness and sustainability and development in the industry
- Drives a performance culture that aspires to delivering superior services in comparisons to other UK and global organisations
- Focuses on positive outcomes and delivers better value for money
- Supports evaluation and metrics programmes that prove our effectiveness
- Leads collaborative and shared learning, driving functional working to deliver a joined-up approach as one organisation
- Leading innovative approaches that differentiate our services and deliver real measurable results for levy payers
- Drives a significant step change in thinking and behaviours achieving improved levels of engagement and satisfaction with all partners and staff
- Supports the development of a culture of continuous improvement and learning
- To ensure the procurement of goods and services are in accordance with procurement policy; ensuring high levels of project and contract management by self and staff
- Produces clearly defined sector strategy and business plan with sector board
- Works closely with sector boards to ensure that the strategy set by the board will optimise productivity and sustainability for growers and deliver the greatest return on investment for the levy
- Works closely with delivery teams to ensure the sector’s goals are being met in the right way – choosing the right work, ensuring it is delivered to high standard
- Oversees evaluation tools to monitor and report on performance for the sector across all functions
- Agrees and oversees use of investment tools to ensure sound judgements are made on what type of work is taken on
- Keeps the wider organisation up to date with sector trends and issues
- Organises and chairs meetings, and communicates regularly across the organisation so all staff working on the sector within functional teams are kept well informed
- Champions the sector externally and internally
- Develops and maintains a strong profile and connection with the sector – commentating, networking, building supply chain relationships as face of the sector for media and industry
- Maintains and develops partnerships with key stakeholders in the sector
- Manages political relationships with industry stakeholders
- Feeds back signals both inside and outside that indicate opportunities to grow, improve reputation or threaten our success
- Acts as a Director, contributing to broader organisational goals and leading programmes of work as necessary
WHAT QUALITIES DO I NEED?
- Excellent leader, networker and relationship builder
- A committed team player and self-starter
- Strategic thinker and politically aware
- Extensive strategic and business development expertise
- Excellent communicator – able to identify, evaluate and articulate value for stakeholders
- Empathy with agriculture, supply chain and food
- Able to have impact and influence through matrix management
- Experience within the Horticulture sector is essential
- A PhD in Plant Pathology / Genetics would be preferably
WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
So, we have your attention and motivation? We would love to hear from you if you are keen to find out more. In the first instance, please forward your CV together with a cover note and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call + 44 (0) 7887 712 133 and all successful candidates will be contacted within 14 days of us receiving your application. Please note that all applications will be treated with confidence.