HEAD OF CROP HEALTH & INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT
WHAT’S THE JOB? HEAD OF CROP HEALTH & IPM
WHO’S THE EMPLOYER? A centrally funded organisation committed to investing and promoting UK food and farming
WHAT’S THE INDUSTRY? Crop Protection and Integrated Pest Management
HOW WILL I BE REWARDED? An industry leading package, commensurate with experience
WHERE IS THE ROLE LOCATED? Midlands
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE ROLE? To plan and ensure delivery of our client’s Crop Health and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programme and to take responsibility for the management and technical development of the Crop Health and IPM team, ensuring that team members are able to deliver into research programmes effectively. The role may include acting as a Sector Coordinator
Effective crop protection via modern Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approaches is a primary strategic priority for all crop sectors. UK crop productivity is increasingly at risk as the conventional pesticide armoury declines. Alternative approaches to managing key pests, diseases and weeds must be found and adopted to maintain the UK’s competitiveness in arable and horticultural production
Many such approaches are used now but it is the integration of these approaches that will give the growers the best chance of meeting profitable and sustainable outcomes.
- The post-holder will have the responsibility of leading this key work programme for our client to provide technical and strategic leadership to the Crop Health & IPM Team, ensuring that scientific expertise and excellence is maintained and enhanced
- Lead a programme that delivers objectives on IPM including identifying gaps in knowledge, establishing R&D programmes to fill them and working with communication, knowledge exchange and digital media colleagues to deliver solutions to the industry
- Work with colleagues and other external stakeholders to provide real-time information and forecasts on the level of crop pests and diseases in the UK to aid growers in managing their risk in this key aspect of production
- Lead a team of technical experts that delivers the above programmes and services ensuring that the technical expertise of the team is consistent with international knowledge and standards
- Planning the delivery of projects that fill gaps in knowledge or that provide key services
- Working with key suppliers of research and services
- Delivering the outcomes in a format that industry can utilise effectively reflecting both the integration with other farm activity and the impact on the economics of production
- Maintaining the right links with other teams including supporting KE delivery in the field for 2 way flows of information
- Establish good links with research institutes, universities and commercial businesses involved in IPM (in the UK and overseas) to identify innovations that can deliver to industry
- Actively seek to promote the profile of the team and the work to external stakeholders
- Control and monitor the operational budget for the Team, and provide accurate and appropriate reporting information to the Research Director
- Work with the Chief Technical Officer, the Research Director, and Sector Strategy Directors to ensure that the correct level of expertise and resource is available to deliver corporate and sector research objectives within the context of the scientific discipline
- Be seen as the first point of contact with external stakeholders for matters relating to IPM
WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
- Relevant degree or higher degree in biological, agricultural, agri-environmental or related discipline
- Extensive experience of the crop protection landscape in the UK
- Experience of managing significant budgets
- Skills and experience of managing and motivating technical teams
- Experience and an understanding of working with government agencies and commercial organisations to develop business opportunities
- Excellent communication skills
WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
So, we have your attention and motivation? We would love to hear from you if you are keen to find out more. In the first instance, please forward your CV together with a cover note and salary requirements to email@example.com or call 07887 712 133 and all successful candidates will be contacted within 14 days of us receiving your application. Please note that all applications will be treated with confidence.